Blackline Map exercise. You will need to know the countries of Europe and be able to ID them, by name, on a map.
Time in class to finish the Ch 3 Intro and study guide
Go to the article "Why Study History" at
Use the section headings in the article and write a summary of each section (sentence or two) in your own words. I'm looking for evidence you understood the point of each section and can pick out what was important, not if you can paraphrase words on a page or copy text.
Time to review for test: 10-15 min.
Test Ch. 2 (yes, you may use a note card) Do test (linked below until end of school) on own paper and turn in.
Begin Ch. 3: Asia
Below: Kabul city park circa 1972 (left) and circa 2012 (right).
- Today, as we finish Chap. 2 on the Muslim World, we discuss the origins of Islam and clarify the basic differences between Suni and Shia.
- HW: Chapter 2 Review
- Heads up! On block day, we will take a little time to review and then take the Ch. 2 test. Friday, we begin Ch 3.
- We will finish our discussion on the Mughal Empire today.
- Watch the film Jodha-Akbar today and Friday.
- How closely does the film impart the history of the reign of this very important King?
- Note the differences in Eastern methods of retelling history vs Western ways of making a similar film.
- What new cultural understanding is gained by reading and "seeing" the history of a people we previously knew/read so little about?
- What is indicated by limiting Eastern civilizations to only a few sections in our text books? What message is sent about the value of these cultures in Western minds? Is this a correct view?
Read Section 2.2 and answer the questions in the attached document.
Read Ch 2.1 and answer the questions attached below.
The focus today is on the means by which an Empire is created and how the power and land obtained are effectively held and controlled.
Ppt on the Ottoman Empire and accompanying lecture.
HW: begin in class and complete the Ch. 2 Preview (attached).
- Test on Tuesday (MC & essay)
- 3x5 note card with hand written notes IS allowed for use on test. Electronically manipulated cards will be confiscated. Use of such cards = zero/fail on the test.
- Today in class: complete the study guide. Use the guide as HW to study for the test and prep for the essay (prep for all four, I will pick two on Tuesday, you write one essay).
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.
Text @e461a to (805) 214-6479